Weapon Changes

Nevrus

Original poster
Aug 10, 2022
They're good. Very balanced. Nice work.

That is all. Big +1 to your design efforts!

I have mentioned this on the Discord but I might as well do it here again.
Disclaimer : This is from a purely pragmatic and gameplay-driven point of view, RP can in the end excuse anything.

So, as it currently stands there is one weapon that I noticed being pretty redundant right now. And to highlight it we are going to compare it to it's rival weapon.
They both deal 1d8 blunt damage,
have a 20x2 threat range ...
... and require proficiency with simple weapons to be used.

And this is where the similarities end. The two weapon types I am talking about here are the Heavy Mace and the Morningstar.
And here is how one is superior to the other. The Morningstar not only deals Piercing as a second weapon damage type but it is also a rogue proficiency weapon.

So, the Morningstar is just plainly better. Does this threaten to hamper the fun I am going to have on TDN? No.
Is it a huge balance concern? Nuh-uh.
It's just something that I thought I should bring up.

If anyone asked me for my ideal solution to this I'd just move the rogue weapon proficiency from the Morningstar over to the Heavy Mace. Boom, suddenly we have both weapons in their own little corners of "how useful is this" and not only have we given rogues a more thematically appropriate weapon but also nerfed the class in the process. A win-win for everybody involved.
(attempt at dry humor there about the rogue nerf)

Last edited:
I was a bit disappointed to see that there was nothing in the update to make the dagger an alternative to shortswords for finesse melee characters, rather than a downgrade. It's nice that it deals both slashing & piercing damage now, but shortswords getting the same treatment just means the status quo is intact.

I understand that it is hard to improve the dagger much while keeping it on par with other simple weapons, but the chance of a finesse melee character not having martial or rogue proficiency being basically non-existant means that the shortsword is always sitting there as a superior choice, which I feel is a shame considering how iconic the knifefighter archetype is.

(As a side-note, it feels rather unfortunate for Assassins too since presently they do have a reason to be fighting with knives, which makes it rather easy to presume OOC-ly that any character using them is one.)

I would agree with daggers being set to on par with shortswords were it not for twf hin and gnomes being buffed for making such a change. Being small needs drawbacks to match the bonuses.

Reactions: Agog