Arcane tricksters combine their knowledge of spells with a taste for intrigue, larceny or just plain mischief. They are among the most adaptable of adventurers.
Arcane spellcasting and the sneak attack ability are needed to qualify for this class, making it a natural choice for multiclassed wizard/rogues or sorcerer/rogues. Assassins occasionally opt for this class, but usually only if they already have wizard or sorcerer levels.
Arcane tricksters tend to use a seat-of-the-pants approach to adventuring, loading up on spells that improve their stealth and mobility. NPC arcane tricksters are the sort of people who might bump into you in a crowded cavern. (Check your pockets.)
Alignment Restriction: Any nonlawful
Hit Die: d8
Proficiencies: Arcane tricksters gain no additional proficiency in any weapon or armor.
Skill Points: 7 + INT modifier
Class Skills: All Knowledges, Barter, Bluff, Concentration, Craft Trap, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Handle Trap, Heal, Intimidate, Open Lock, Parry, Perception, Perform, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft, Stealth, Taunt, Tumble, Use Magic Device
Primary Saving Throws: Reflex & Will
Base Attack Bonus: + 3/4 Levels
- Skills: Disable Trap 8 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks, Knowledge (Arcana) 6 ranks
- Ability to cast Force Needle and Mage Hand
- Special: Sneak Attack +2d6.
Ranged Legerdemain, Sneak Attack +1d6
|+1 level of existing class|
|3rd||+2||+1||+3||+3||Sneak attack +2d6|
|+1 level of existing class|
Special Bonus Feat, Impromptu Sneak Attack
- Spells per Day: At levels 2 and 4, the Arcane Trickster gains new spells per day as if they had also gained a level in a spellcasting class they belonged to before adding the prestige class. They do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained, except for an increased effective level of spellcasting. They also do not learn new spells unless through learning from a scroll or by taking a level in a non-prestige casting class afterwards.
- Ranged Legerdemain: Using his unique talents, an arcane trickster can perform one of the following class skills at a range of 30 feet: Disable Trap, Open Lock, or Pick Pocket. Working at a distance increases the normal skill check DC by 5, and the arcane trickster cannot take 20 on the check. Unlimited Uses.
- Sneak Attack: This is exactly like the rogue ability of the same name. If the arcane trickster gets a Sneak Attack modifier from another source (such as rogue levels), the bonuses to damage stack.
- Special Bonus Feat: This is the same as the rogue’s special bonus feat.
- Impromptu Sneak Attack: The arcane trickster's unique combination of magical and rogue skills allows the arcane trickster to apply sneak attack to any spell that has an attack roll such as a ranged or melee touch attack. This sneak attack must still be within 30 feet, the damage is still physical and applied separately. If applied in this way it cannot deal more sneak attack d6 dice than the arcane trickster level. This ability can be used six times per day. This ability is instant activated, and then it applies to the next spell cast afterwards.
Portrait Artist: Wayne Chang