Emerging out of the chaos of the Longest Year, the palestone knights lead a crusade against magic. With bizarre powers of utterly alien origin, these stern inquisitors have formed a vanguard of their own devising, spearheading an assault on spellcasters across the Realms. Many of these knights band together into orders with a particular philosophy and set of principles, though these ideologies are often so extreme that they clash and spark violence even amongst each other. Other knights seek to war against the Weave entirely alone, even when such a path is fraught with innumerable dangers.
Some of these knights reject the idea of bringing magic into the world personally while accepting the moderate use of arcane or divine aid from others as long as it isn’t misused, while others consider any use of magic to be punishable by death.
All of these grim warriors, though, share one singular desire; to eventually see the complete and utter eradication of the Weave. To this end, they all take an oath upon becoming a sworn knight - a knighthood which no local authority recognizes, but by which they symbolise a strange sort of noble purpose to themselves.
Because of their mercurial ideologies, none can truly know what to expect from a palestone knight. Without knowing their personal principles, they are - in the minds of others - just as likely to stab an innocent civilian for accepting divine healing as they are to hunt down a dangerous cabal of necromancers to bring them to justice.
This has led to them having a mixed reception from the world at large, however as their numbers grow and their orders become more prominent and recognizable, more and more authorities are learning which of these knights to welcome and which to chase away. In Amn, the order known as the Pale Judicators is rumoured to have established a base of operations, which Murann has tentatively allowed without resistance.
*Note: As this is an entirely custom class with lore specific to The Dragon’s Neck, a roleplay guide has been provided with some background and details to help any interested players:
Palestone Knights: A Roleplay Guide & Lore
Alignment Restriction: Non-Chaotic, Non-Good only
Class Restrictions: Unable to multiclass with arcane or divine classes
Hit Die: d10
Proficiencies: All simple and martial weapons, light and medium armor and shields (including tower shields)
Skill Points: 3 + INT Modifier
Class Skills: All Knowledge, Barter, Bluff, Concentration, Craft Trap, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Discipline, Heal, Intimidate, Parry, Perception, Perform, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Taunt, Tumble
Primary Saving Throws: Fortitude & Will
Base Attack Bonus: + 1 Levels
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Knowledge Arcane: 8 Ranks
Discipline: 4 Ranks
Concentration: 4 Ranks
Intimidate: 4 Ranks
Feats: Weapon Focus (Melee Weapon), Iron Will, Palestone Initiate
|1st||+1||+2||+0||+2||Palestone Armor I||16|
|2nd||+2||+3||+0||+3||Devouring Blade (2x/day)||16|
|4th||+4||+4||+1||+4||Devouring Blade (3x/day)||18|
|5th||+5||+4||+1||+4||Palestone Armor II||18|
|6th||+6||+5||+2||+5||Devouring Blade (4x/day)||18|
|8th||+8||+6||+2||+6||Devouring Blade (5x/day)||22|
|10th||+10||+7||+3||+7||Palestone Armor III, Devouring Blade (6x/day)||24|
- Palestone Initiate:
- For those wishing to join the ranks of the infamous Palestone Knights, first one must swear to the code that binds their order. This is just the first step on an arduous and secretive path that grants the knights their otherworldly powers. To swear a vow against any and all magic, to combat those who would abuse it, however they might.
- Note: This is a special feat awarded by an NPC and cannot be taken at character selection or level up.
- Palestone Armor:
- The Palestone Knight gains the ability to add the Material (Palestone) property to a set of heavy armor via augmenting/reforging. Any item with this property becomes useable only by Palestone Knights. While equipped, the Palestone Knight gains spell resistance which scales with their level. At level 5, Palestone Armor also grants 25% immunity to the Magic damage type. At level 10, Palestone Armor grants 50% immunity to the Magic damage type and 5 damage resistance to Fire, Cold and Acid damage.
- Devouring Blade:
- The Palestone Knight can use this strike to attempt to strip up to two magical effects from his target as if they were affected by the Lesser Spell Breach spell. For each effect consumed by this ability, the Palestone Knight regains 2d4 hit points + 1d4 / his Wisdom modifier. This attack ignores concealment.
- The Palestone Knight gains a permanent +4 to Sense Motive and Intimidate.
- Quieting Sign:
- The Palestone Knight can create a silent zone around himself as if he had cast the spell Silence on himself. This can be used once every 6 minutes and lasts 3 rounds + 1 / his Wisdom modifier.
- Turning Shield:
- The Palestone Knight can deflect spells of level 4 or lower as if affected by the Globe of Invulnerability spell. This ability can be used once every 12 minutes, cannot be dispelled and lasts 3 rounds + 1 / his Wisdom modifier.