Clarification on Palestone Knights

Gadwin

Original poster
Nov 22, 2022
So, the page for them says that basically they all swear to be against magic, but then there is also information that goes into detail about how the different palestone knights have different beliefs on what their sworn code means- e.g some are fine with worshipping gods whereas others think that's being okay with divine magic and therefore bad.

I was wondering if that same sort of variation in belief could also apply to how one interprets their universal code:

Til the Weave be unravelled,
We shall wear this veil of gray.
Those bound by the web
We shall free.
Those snaring the weak
We shall hunt.
By this vow we are bound;
Pale-clad, resolute,
Til the Weave be unravelled.

To me, this seems open to the interpretation that this isn't actively seeking to bring about the eradication of magic so much as hunting down those who abuse magic in all its forms; akin to "policing" spellcasters, in a sense. They are sworn to uphold their duty until such a time as magic no longer exists. With that in mind, I was wondering if it would be fine for a character to adopt the (simplified) view of "Magic is fine so long as it is used responsibly", and therefore abstain from seeking to bring about its destruction as a whole?

Reactions: Ari
So, the page for them says that basically they all swear to be against magic, but then there is also information that goes into detail about how the different palestone knights have different beliefs on what their sworn code means- e.g some are fine with worshipping gods whereas others think that's being okay with divine magic and therefore bad.

I was wondering if that same sort of variation in belief could also apply to how one interprets their universal code:

Til the Weave be unravelled,
We shall wear this veil of gray.
Those bound by the web
We shall free.
Those snaring the weak
We shall hunt.
By this vow we are bound;
Pale-clad, resolute,
Til the Weave be unravelled.

To me, this seems open to the interpretation that this isn't actively seeking to bring about the eradication of magic so much as hunting down those who abuse magic in all its forms; akin to "policing" spellcasters, in a sense. They are sworn to uphold their duty until such a time as magic no longer exists. With that in mind, I was wondering if it would be fine for a character to adopt the (simplified) view of "Magic is fine so long as it is used responsibly", and therefore abstain from seeking to bring about its destruction as a whole?

This was my thought as well for when I contemplated PSK. Especially since I was wanting to join the Moonlight Chosen sect. It's my understanding that each PSK is their own person in how they will view/perceive/twist their beliefs to fit their goal.

At least, I think.

That is actually the interpretation of quite a few of them. The Moonlight Chosen and even the Pale Judicators - to a degree - adopt that stance. But 'responsibly,' in their eyes, not only means used in a way that would benefit civilisation, but also sparingly. To all of the orders, magic is not good. Each Palestone Knight is taught where the oath originated when they're sworn in. Some are more pragmatic about it and understand that in a world that's currently permeated by magic, there are some problems that almost exclusively require magic to resolve.

With that said, very few Palestone Knights look as favourably on arcane magic as they would divine magic. Divine magic is closer to home to most Palestone Knights and has a lot more beneficial and selfless uses, particularly healing and curing disease. Palestone Knights aren't paladins, so they're not immune to the ravages of disease, poison, etc - all of which can be relieved by divine magic. In contrast, arcane magic is far more selfish and destructive, rarely bringing about any good.

Realistically, as well, there's an element of peer pressure to Palestone Knights which can't really be expressed until the server is launched and people get chance to see it, but every Palestone Knight will likely be on edge about what they accept as far as magic goes, lest they're turned on by their fellow knights. This is much less of an issue for knights who become part of an order that fits their ideology, which is why many do. There is protection in numbers. But singular knights who take to their own creed or ideology are extremely vulnerable as they're hated by spellcasters, friends of casters and could at any moment be deemed heretical by one of the orders who learn of them, forcibly sworn in or executed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danuvis and Ari
So in the grand scheme of things, a very relaxed PSK would make all the enemies ever and have no chance at a long playtime on the server? If the orders themselves would hunt them down and that's something that will be roleplayed ICly then I don't see the against-the-grain angle working out for anyone who tries it for very long, as they will inevitably draw the ire of the orders and be executed as the setting demands.

I don't mind playing someone who is reviled for their beliefs so much as I would their being punished so damningly and one-sidedly for having them. So is playing the self-made PSK angle a total lost cause that will end in character PK or excessive hostilities to the point of being unfun, or would it still be possible for them to exist, just with tensions? The goal of the character design was never to be antagonistic, for reference.

The goal of the orders was more to show off the different ways that the oath could be interpreted, but it's not an exhaustive list.

Most of the orders don't exist anywhere near Amn or Murann; the page where it lists them gives a decent indicator of which ones might be around in small pockets, or might show up during an event or storyline. The primary order that will exist for players to initiate with is the Pale Judicators; these are probably the most neutral and lawful of the lot, and I made them primarily because they're very measured in their approach. There's more to them, and they have their own goals that they won't want anyone interfering with, but in a nutshell they're there to act as a middle ground for the various concepts. They wouldn't necessarily have a problem with slightly more lax standards and they wouldn't necessarily have a problem with more strict standards.

So.. your thoughts seem to somewhat align with the Pale Judicators. If you were found to be too tolerant of magic, they might take issue. That may not necessarily be a totally hostile stance, depending on how far you go with your tolerance. And even a hostile stance may not involve violence, it all depends on your character and the roleplay.

My advice to anyone that's thinking of going independent as a Palestone Knight would be to try and found your own order. Try and persuade other people to join it. They don't necessarily have to be other Palestone Knights, as long as it's about the cause itself that you're trying to promote and the ideology you're trying to push. It's possible to be a loner PSK, but there'd be a fine line to walk probably - there are plenty of people (even arcane casters) that have expressed an interest in seeing magic regulated properly themselves on their characters already, so it's a goal you could achieve.

Reactions: Ari and Gadwin
Awesome, just wanted to know that the concept isn't dead in the water. Thanks for clarifying.

The goal of the orders was more to show off the different ways that the oath could be interpreted, but it's not an exhaustive list.

Most of the orders don't exist anywhere near Amn or Murann; the page where it lists them gives a decent indicator of which ones might be around in small pockets, or might show up during an event or storyline. The primary order that will exist for players to initiate with is the Pale Judicators; these are probably the most neutral and lawful of the lot, and I made them primarily because they're very measured in their approach. There's more to them, and they have their own goals that they won't want anyone interfering with, but in a nutshell they're there to act as a middle ground for the various concepts. They wouldn't necessarily have a problem with slightly more lax standards and they wouldn't necessarily have a problem with more strict standards.

So.. your thoughts seem to somewhat align with the Pale Judicators. If you were found to be too tolerant of magic, they might take issue. That may not necessarily be a totally hostile stance, depending on how far you go with your tolerance. And even a hostile stance may not involve violence, it all depends on your character and the roleplay.

My advice to anyone that's thinking of going independent as a Palestone Knight would be to try and found your own order. Try and persuade other people to join it. They don't necessarily have to be other Palestone Knights, as long as it's about the cause itself that you're trying to promote and the ideology you're trying to push. It's possible to be a loner PSK, but there'd be a fine line to walk probably - there are plenty of people (even arcane casters) that have expressed an interest in seeing magic regulated properly themselves on their characters already, so it's a goal you could achieve.

Oh wow, I didn't even think about the last part. A PSK forming an order with others who aren't PSKs. Just a goal. That can open up a huge amount of RP potential with the governing on how magic could be viewed. I think most people might think the orders on the PSK list are their choices though.

Oh wow, I didn't even think about the last part. A PSK forming an order with others who aren't PSKs. Just a goal. That can open up a huge amount of RP potential with the governing on how magic could be viewed. I think most people might think the orders on the PSK list are their choices though.

They would think that if they didn't properly read the roleplay guide, where it says just above the list of orders: "Below is a list of the most noted groups of Palestone Knights that exist in Faerûn. Please be aware that this is not an exhaustive list and that there are many Knights who work alone or otherwise attempt to establish orders based on their own interpretations of their oath."