Original poster
Apr 4, 2024
Name: Elowen Strandholme
Race: Half-elf
Class: Paladin
Order: Champion of the Divine Right
Oath: Humility
Vow: Courage

Elowen. Daughter of Yakob. Half-elf. Loved. That is all she knew of herself until adolescence, as her father raised her among the small unnamed Hamlet along the Ithal Road. There are two things that are common to all children, however - observations and questions.

“Who was my mother?” was a common one for poor Yakub. The craftsman would gently answer “She was Beauty.”

While selling their wares to travelers on the Ithal Road; “Was she kind?”

“Too kind.”

And so she grew into a young woman along the Ithal Road, loved by her hamlet but never feeling a part of them. Half of her was out there after all. She tended to the travelers, dreaming that one may have been her mother. Not that she would have known.

Treat them all thusly, though, and if the two happened to meet even in passing then her mother would think well of the unknown, promising young Elowen.

Elowen found her service rewarding. She found purpose in the dream that each passing merchant or lordship may know her by her kindness to them, and that they may show some small quantity of grace in return.

The Time of Troubles and the Longest Year had little impact for her tiny rural community, who would only infrequently see the direct results of the supremely magical world around them.

Then the civil unrest took hold within Tethyr, leaving the Ithal Road’s traffic sparse, save for hard-beaten caravans, refugees, unfortunates, and those that would prey on them. Elowen still did her best with what she could, though her father - advancing in age now - could no longer assist. She spent many days and nights working for the rich - terrible and kind alike - in exchange for alms which she could distribute to the poor.

As much as she knew she must do this work for these oft-greedy masters, she felt no calling in it. Not until she found herself in the service of one Ser Sarvyn Trueblood as his company rested near her hamlet for several nights.

She was delighted by the grizzled old veteran’s empathy for the poor souls who seemed to endlessly trickle by. Moreover, she was awed by the example he set. As she begged for alms, he made it his business to be nearby. He, a true Champion of the Divine Right, wielded his position like a scalpel to intimidate, legitimize, and further her purposes at every step.

In his service, by virtue of his righteousness and legitimacy alike, she found her ability to aid the refugees expanded beyond her dreams.

This is what it means to serve. Serving the right master is serving the people, and a right master serves the people through their servants. With that virtue beating in her chest, Elowen knew she could not linger in the hamlet any more. Righteousness was out there, and it beckoned her to ensure it had all the hands it needed.

She would not leave without her father’s blessing, which he was all too willing to give. Both of them wept with joy and loss. As a farewell gift to his only daughter, he presented the sole keepsakes of her mother that were left to him: A set of letters from the elven merchant describing her tryst with Yakub. The language used was one of love and adoration. And fear. For her mother was wed to another. A powerful and spiteful elf. And so Elowen must be kept secret or it could destroy all three of them. The letters were signed only “J” and “Y”.

Several years have passed in the service and training of The Champions of the Divine Right as Tethyr needed the guiding hand of Siamorphe more than ever. Elowen, now Elowen Strandholme, had seen and learned much of the world, and felt amazed joy at even the small returnings of magic. Now, with the Tethyran throne reaching stability, Sarvyn Trueblood has finally heard Elowen’s Oath and Vow and sent her forth to Amn to serve what Righteousness might be found, with Humility and Courage.

Last edited:
A Memory

Murann was within sight. Whenever the tavern door opened, Elowen could see the light of it in the distance, framed as a painting. Her glimpses were few though, as her chosen tavern had sparse patronage at best. The door remained closed against the night's wind.

A tankard slammed carelessly onto the table before her. Pewter on wood. It reminded her of Sarvyn's sword on her shield...

Ser Sarvyn Trueblood's sword cracked down upon Elowen's shield. Over and over, as though the veteran Knight were trying to shake the timber of it, and bruised her forearm through it. She was driven to one already-bleeding knee, unable to hold her stance. She dropped her blade and grabbed her shield with her free hand, panicking under the assault.

The battering stopped.

"Child?" Sarvyn's tone was unmistakable. The gravel in his voice could not hide his concern. Concern that he had gone too far.

Elowen held her shield before her long enough to compose her face, scrabbling briefly with her free hand to retrieve her sword. She stood shakily, exhaling her anger and disappointment. She raised her shield for the next battering

Sarvyn grinned, gap-toothed. "That's the spirit. Remember: Your shield is the difference between a gasping wound and a bruised ego. Be Righteousness' shield."

The battering resumed

"Ah, hells..." Elowen was brought back to the present by the barmaid's oath. She followed her gaze to the door, which had swung open. The view of the road was obstructed by a band of men, already too merry in their cups, stumbling in uproariously.

A Memory: Humility

They swept through the common room, the earthquake of their stumbling feet rattling the dishes and their shouts drawing more than one wince from the few patrons already present.

"Thom, that's quite enough. You know you're supposed to start your drink here, not finish it." The barmaid tried to shoo the men out with a grin. She kept it playful, though Elowen saw the worry that creased her brow.

"Now-" started the one Elowen supposed to be Thom. He had flung his arm out to point at the barmaid, overbalancing and upturning a full bottle on the bar.

"Now- don't be like that. We're just here to wind down." He started forward.

Elowen was there, spear and shield left at her table. Left, but not forgotten. She smiled, confidently echoing the barmaid's demeanor as she raised a gentle hand to usher the men to the door.

"Friends, it is time to go. The proprietor has asked you leave, and so you will."

Tempers flashed like a grease fire, and the strike across her jaw came from outside of her periphery.

"Time to learn a lesson in humility..."

Her vision swam...

"So what do you think?" Ser Trueblood 's gruff, disapproving tone. They had been watching the other squires spar, and a few were promising to Elowen's eye. Sarvyn seemed to disagree. This was a test, perhaps?

Elowen answered cautiously, feeding him an answer that she thought he wanted as she looked on.

"They will all be great squires, my lord. I can hope to match them some day."

There was a long pause. When she looked to her mentor, she found he had been watching her carefully. Scornfully. Sarvyn crouched to her height, looking her in the eye.

"Listen, child. Humility suits you. It suits you like valor suits a coward, or abstinence suits the lech. And so it is important that you know the true value of a virtue.

All virtues may be false. False humility is as damning as false purity. Do you understand?"

Elowen, thoughtful of the lesson, nodded.

"So I repeat- what do you think?"

She considered the squires before her.

"They're working hard and may be great knights some day. But as it stands - I could take them."

Sarvyn grinned and nodded. "I think so, too."

Elowen shook the fog from her vision. The sucker punch had nearly floored her. Standing tall, she looked around those gathered. Thom was the first to break the tense silence.

"What do you think about that, eh?"

Elowen smiled. Brightly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danuvis and Roman53
A Memory: Oaths

"What's got you smiling, eh? Liked that, did you?" Thom was too drunk to properly sneer. He settled on a cocky pose halfway between swagger and stagger.

Elowen worked her jaw to stop it from locking up. Taking a moment, she surveyed the group and judged them - they didn't have more than a warning shot in them. She turned her back to them briefly as she walked over to her table to retrieve her tankard. She took from it deeply before holding the cool pewter against her split lip with a wince.

"It was a good strike, if hastily thrown. I can appreciate when I've been had, by anyroad. I suspect that's usually enough to get the local taverngoers to back down - that, and your numbers."
The ruffians glanced among each other and burst into laughter. Perhaps she had misjudged.

One of them - an ale-bellied man with teeth the color and texture of fresh butter - took the chance to speak, cutting Thom off mid-retort "You calling us cowards, young miss? Just 'cos ol' Thom here is a kind soul don't mean the rest of us are. I hear the Tethyr on your tongue and let me tell you, young miss, we don't appreciate gettin' told off by a foreigner." The cretin rolled up his sleeves as pure pageantry. "Your ledger's fillin' up an' the ink is red, young miss..."

Elowen flinched as he charged her...

The bandit was suddenly face-down in the gravel of the road, not three feet from her. Ser Trueblood's hand on the nape of his leather jack. Elowen's hands were clammy around her spear - the weapon of an errant, not a nobleman. Long past were the days where her oaths would have earned her that right. Around her, a score of brigands were being manhandled into a group by a half-dozen knights and their half-dozen squires. The tussle had been a short but violent one, with only one of their attackers dead but many on both sides sporting cuts and bruises.

Two of the other squires quickly came to gather the man that Ser Trueblood was kneeling on. Once free, the knight stood with an effort against his aging knees and dusted his hands on his tabard. He, as usual, fixed Elowen with a flinty stare.

"I froze." She confessed.

"Listen, Strandholme. You're errant, now. You've taken your vow, and sworn your oath. Courage, and humility. It's a fine line to walk." He sighed, glancing at the one brigand that lay dead in the heath just off the road. "Particularly with lives on the line." The empathy in his tone was clear to Elowen, though to the onlooker it doubtlessly sounded like a scolding. He took her by the shoulder and started them on the way over to the gathered brigands, walking and talking.

"Many say it was easier when we could hear Her. When one could pray and She might answer, and guide with a firm but just hand. However, I find that my faith is bolstered more by the numbers who still join Her cause despite Her silence. For we are Her voice and Her bulwark, and people may know Her for our efforts. Find those moments that speak to your vow, and hold your faith, Strandholme."

Elowen had been staring up at the man who, despite his years and the road's dust, was suddenly possessed of a presence that wiped from her mind all thought of the dead bandit's blood on her spear.

He stood, radiant before the huddled thieves. When he spoke, it was with Her authority. "Hear me, young men..."

She flinched, but she didn't freeze. She rarely did, anymore. Pewter shattered upon the charging man's ear, sending him careening to the floor in a shower of ale. She shook the disembodied handle of the tankard from her fingers as she stood tall once more. The jeering huddle of drunkards paused, suddenly all too aware of the spear and shield that now sat just behind her. The patrons of the tavern had coalesced behind her, against the back wall and far from the violence.

Though now, the barmaid had joined her "You need to leave, Thom. Leave and find a new haunt." As she stepped forward, the other patrons slowly returned to their tables, throwing their most scornful glares toward the drunkards before pointedly ignoring them - their own small display of bravery.

The drunkards only had eyes for Elowen, though. As she stepped forward, they shrank back. Her mien drawing all attention away from her weapons. Forceful, in a way they could not explain.

She spoke with Her voice as she stepped over their unconscious friend. "Hear me, good Amnians..."

Reactions: Roman53 and Danuvis