Huogo, A Tethyrian Monk

Wargtimmen

Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
Character Name: Huogo
Class: Monk - Order of the Sun Soul
Alignment: Lawful Good
Deity: Lathander

"Huogo was in Athkatla while the city was falling. He joined the convoy of the survivors those who made their way to Murann with the lead of Prince Haedrak."

...It's been days since we left the mountains behind. Last a few days were dangerous, while the City of Coin was falling. I was there to discover the monastery of my faith. Yet a threat from the mountains didn't allow it to happen. The horrifying encounters that happened were readable on people's faces. Desperate and scared. Yet while we were getting close to the trade city that was built on the crossroad I could see the smiling on their faces. Especially on her face. I met her on the road while a convoy was following the prince to another region with his leadership. She is a mother of two children. Sincere and kind like a summer breeze. Such a beautiful smile she has. She became a widow a couple of years ago, she was taking care of the children herself back then. They were friendly enough to share their food and company with me. A farmer family for decades. I couldn't help but get lost in my childhood memories when I saw her making a dream catcher with straws for her children...

Years ago,

I was little, and it was my last night in my home. I was scared and looked at the window while the candle light was filling the room a little. My mother was sitting next to me, always smiling to hide her tears. A dream catcher was put next to my pillow. "You are a hope for us, and you shall be for others too. Morninglord sent you to us, I know" she was saying. And naively she was believing in that. Later that night, I was going to the monastery, somewhere, days maybe even weeks ahead.

My mother told me so, before I was born the crops in the farm were in bad condition, as if there was a kind of blight. She has been a widow, her husband died a year ago in troubling times. A mother with two children, was feeling hopeless and could only pray to Bringer of the Dawn. She found out she was pregnant. And coincidence that my arrival brought good luck to the farm as if Morninglord answered her prayers. I was, though, a forbidden child of hers, in a short intimate relationship with an adventurer Sun Elf, who was solving some local problems around the farms. That was what I was told by my grandmother at least. He never showed up after he left, probably he doesn't know me at all.

So, my mother made a promise to Morninglord, this child shall walk in his path once it arrives. So it was written my destiny already even before I was born.

The Road,

We left the city behind. After the dangerous wild road, this was a chance for all of us to see somewhere far more civilized and famous with its traders. Children, now, they're playing games while the convoy is stopping in between. And people became more talkative while eating during the camping. I promised to the woman I was traveling with that I will keep my eyes on her children while they're playing. In truth I joined their game too. They were playing with a ball and it took me to the memories in Monastery. Although we were in quite disciplined training in the Monastery, sometimes we couldn't help but do mischievous things with our childhood energy. One day we locked ourselves by 'accident' into a room where we could play some games. People were looking for us all day, I remember afterwards we had to do a lot of work as punishment. Funny enough, it wasn't a punishment to me. Because I had to help the gardener of the Monastery. He was a real mentor to me.

The Monastery,

We were going to harvest the cherries from trees with the gardener. He was calling me Mockingbird because of the troubles I get and finding myself in punishment often in those days. "We're late, some birds have already arrived for their breakfast." he chuckled. Some birds were eating the cherries already. I was a bit inpatient then started to gather the cherries from trees by climbing them. Yet it startled the birds and they flew away. The gardener clicked his tongue. "You should have to do that quietly without startling them! They have the right to eat them as we do. Right?" Then I realized the difference between these monks and the people from the farm I came from. It was quite traumatic back then, I was showing my grandma the birds for how they are beautiful. Then she broke their neck and prepared them for dinner.

The Road,

After a long session of playing with children around we deserved a nice meal. Meanwhile we were having news that we were close to the port city, where we might finally stop. Some people were about to celebrate that they survived the entire way here. She, the woman with a beautiful smile, offered me what she cooked again. I joined them. She learned a few days ago that I am not eating meat so offered me a nice stew made of vegetables. Her children started to ask their questions like usual about the tales and where I came from. Yet, a man approached their mother. The same troubling man. He was tipsy already, and he was quite demanding of her. They were a bit far away from us, she never allowed that man to be close to her children. Yet, I realized he was going to hurt her, I just rushed against him. I don't know what happened to me, and when I became this violent. My hands were soaked by blood, he was panting and begging, but my hands were still on his neck. I wasn't stopping until I heard her: “Stop!”. Then I returned my senses. The children were watching me and seemed scared. The guards approached and they fined me, it could be worse if some people weren't on my side. I have been quiet since then. And the rest of the way to the port city, I didn't talk much. I wasn't sure who I was. I thought I had done my training successfully in the Monastery. Yet my emotions took over the control again.

The Monastery,

Years ago, I was involved in a fight in the Monastery. Someone called the dream catcher made by my mom stupid and the conversation became a fight between us. It was quite a shame for us, masters were looking quite disappointed. The Gardener of the Monastery heard about that too, and one day he approached me. It's been a few weeks already from that fight, but I was still in anger somehow. He understands my situation. I was missing my mother. And it was almost spring, when she was preparing for the celebration of spring's coming with the idol of Earthmother and Morninglord she made. We were listening to the Song of Dawn performed by the priests. I was hearing the same song here as well, yet it was different when I was able to see my mother's smile.

Gardener: "No one cannot take her from you, while you have love and memories about her. But there is a thin line between love and being possessive"

I: "I heard some news, it's quite dangerous over there these days. I really worry if she is fine. I wish I could be there now, instead of here..."

Gardener: "Be in faith that Bringer of the Dawn will protect her. And you're here to be able to serve those people in need. You must complete your training. Then you will be able to protect many families. But you need to stop your love becoming something harmful for the innocent. You need to control your anger."

I: "Maybe I am not capable of this training. Because...I really wanted to hurt him at that moment, I really forgot all the teachings I have got so far."

Gardener: "I know you did...But, we never lose our demons, Mockingbird. We only learn to live above them."

The Road again,

I was feeling the Ki energy was blocked in me, I couldn't reach it. I have been questioning myself since that day. When I see my reflection on the water, I almost cannot recognize the person there. I haven't spoken with her and the children yet. I couldn't. The resemblance between her and my mom turned me into that angry boy again.

It was a beautiful morning, I should have been more cheerful and avoid the negativity. The port city was seen already with the new dawn. The Prince was successful in bringing us there from the City of Coin. My eyes were seeking the faithful members of the Dome of the Rose. I must have accepted that I needed guidance.