Submit your portrait to the Portrait Pack!

Owlsongs

Original poster
Apr 28, 2022
Antwerp - Belgium
Hey people! We've been doing some talking on Discord to get the Portrait Pack started, and I volunteered to do some things. Below is a link to a Google Doc where you can make an application for your portrait to be added, and I'll handle the rest! Some validating will happen, possibly even after your portrait's been added. Keep it clean and relevant, and don't mess with other people's applications. If you have any comments, post them on the forums here, and not in the Google Doc.

NOTE: Yes, it is possible to add a portrait that ONLY YOU can select in character creation, but it would still be visible to others. PM me on Discord for such requests.

Workshop Link:

Last edited:
Im curious what the objective criteria for judgement are, and who is involved in that decision?

To clarify, I dont care that my submission was rejected, but "Too silly" is a fairly subjective statement, so Im wondering what is actually being judged.

Im curious what the objective criteria for judgement are, and who is involved in that decision?

To clarify, I dont care that my submission was rejected, but "Too silly" is a fairly subjective statement, so Im wondering what is actually being judged.

This portrait pack is community-ran, so the TDN staff is not involved in any decision-making. You will want to chat with Owlsongs to get more details.

This portrait pack is community-ran, so the TDN staff is not involved in any decision-making. You will want to chat with Owlsongs to get more details.
Yep, I figured they would see this though since its their project and they posted the thread. Ill poke them on discord.

Before I started this up, I asked around in Discord what people generally expected quality-wise (Mostly what staff expected, in particular). It was rather obvious that no NSFW or other clearly inappropriate images were allowed, but they further clarified things like no anime, no celebrities, no memes, and so on. Staff also suggested that someone from the community might be able to volunteer to aid with the validating process, but so far no one has come forth on that (and it has honestly not been discussed much). Thusfar, I've been using my own gut to judge whether or not anything has or hasn't been appropriate, and whenever I've had doubts (which so far has only been once), I've double-checked with at least one member of staff to confirm. So Aschent is correct in saying that staff isn't directly involved in the decision making concerning the portraits, but I do ask around whenever I('ll) have doubts and take people's opinions into consideration. I imagine there will be more than a few images that will skirt the quality 'expectations', and will require some discussion.

As for your particular image, Gallows, it was deemed 'too memey', and I agreed, especially since you were ambiguous about even using the image yourself. It seemed to lean too much on the 'one off joke character' side, to me. If you/someone ends up really wanting to use it and writes up a whole bio for it and everything, a longer look will probably be taken. So yes, at the moment I'm basically deciding myself what goes in the pack and what doesn't. Some common sense criteria are in place, but there's definetly still gray areas. That said, one can always discuss in this very thread why they feel a wrong decision has been made. Overall, though, I feel like most people who play on persistent RP worlds like this know what kind of portraits are expected/acceptable.

Hope that clarifies a thing or two about my decision-making process. Once the portrait pack gets to about twenty images, I'll make it public on the Steam Workshop for everyone to use in their single player or wherever and/or do some quality control of their own, or testing (besides my own) to see if their image seems allright in-game and so on.

Last edited:
And let me tell you, it's a good thing when someone double-checks them - not necessarily checks, but takes a look at the portraits.
From what I've seen so far, the project is characterized by meticulous quality, and I like it. Simply throwing such standard overboard with the Portrait Pack does not seem appropriate to me. And while the vast majority of players will continue this standard with their own portrait, there will be exceptions. Intentionally or unintentionally.
Furthermore, since the pack is purely graphic and can be seen at a glance, "exotic" portraits are extremely noticeable and it can lead to lowering the quality standard pretty quickly and maybe even cause immersion-breaking when encountered in game.

Thanks for adding the portrait I wanted for my PC. I invite you to send yours :)

Why not? I'm a little iffy about commissioning an artist for a character who may not last more than a month and I'd rather not search the internet for an image to use. We wouldn't be using the AI art for profit?

Why not? Im a little iffy about commissioning an artist for a character who may not last more than a month and Id rather not search the internet for an image to use. We wouldnt be using the AI art for profit?
I agree...just not sure the artists amongst us will.

Personally, if you're not really caring that much - just use one of the existing portraits instead of AI slop.
But I ain't gonna get into that here. I'll submit some pictures soon!

Personally, if youre not really caring that much - just use one of the existing portraits instead of AI slop.
But I aint gonna get into that here. Ill submit some pictures soon!
Yeah we had the discussion on the discord instead. I've decided to go ahead and commission an artist.

• Love
Reactions: Savvy
A few answers to commonly asked questions:

-- Yes, AI art is accepted as long as it follows the same guidelines as other portraits. (no, anime, no celebrities, ... ) Add a reference to the AI used, if possible.
-- Yes, I will be maintaining the portrait pack after launch, and hopefully long after. You can make requests on the google doc to change/add/edit portraits at any time, just make a new request and don't override your old one, for my own bookkeeping.
-- I am always open to discussion concerning portraits, so long as communication remains polite. It may be some time before I respond.
-- You can add your portrait after making your character, there is no need to wait for me to add it to the pack before creating your character. To do this, use the "!portrait (filename)" command in-game. I can provide you the filename over Discord, or you can find it yourself among the files.
-- If you are making your own Targa (.tga) files, the correct sizes are as follows:
> Huge & Large : 256x512 px
> Medium : 128x256 px
> Small : 64x128 px
> Tiny : 32x64 px

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Elena
Step by step to your own protrait, since you can generate these TGA files from a single jpeg image:

1) Place the jpeg file in the portraits subdirectory of your NWN installation
2) Start Neverwinter Nights
3) Launch or load any game
4) Enter the console command ConvertPortrait followed by the name of the image without the extension, for example: ConvertPortrait my_pic
5) Find the .tga files in the portraits subdirectory

-> zip them, share them, keep them ;)

I've got this from: https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Portrait
Access to the Console commands are explained here: https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Console_command

This website allows to create the portrait and also manually crop each size of it separately.