The Trade Way

Roman53

Original poster
Beta Tester
Oct 7, 2020
I am wondering about the state of the Trade Way, following the Longest Year, because at least the section across the Calim desert is enchanted to withstand the likes of Purple Worms and constant erosion. Did it remain in good repair, or have many of the roadside minarets been crushed and weathered? I assume with the return of magic, the road has some protection again, but will that return lost structure?
Any lore or ideas?

I am wondering about the state of the Trade Way, following the Longest Year, because at least the section across the Calim desert is enchanted to withstand the likes of Purple Worms and constant erosion. Did it remain in good repair, or have many of the roadside minarets been crushed and weathered? I assume with the return of magic, the road has some protection again, but will that return lost structure?
Any lore or ideas?
That's a great question. Thank you.

Simple Answer:
The state of Trade Way through the Calim desert has actually improved through The Longest Year. More of the paved stone has been uncovered (and remains uncovered) over this past year than any time since the Shoon Imperium - the Shoon kept the minarets lit so the road was very heavily protected back then. Purple Worms attacks are not common along the road, but they are possible now. Bandit attacks have also increased. So far, even with magic starting to return, the storms have yet to begin again. The minarets are in the same state as they've been for centuries, mostly standing, but difficult to access. Many are unusable due to their gems having been stolen over the years.

Detailed Answer:
The Calim desert is magical itself, its storms brought about nearly exclusively by the whims of the imprisoned noble genie lords, Memnon and Calim. Empires of the Sands says: "When unaffected by the powers raging above and within it, the desert is a relatively stable salt flat." So we can assume when The Longest Year began and the genies lost the power to create these storms, the desert generally became idle. The magic needed to protect the road wasn't needed any longer, and while Purple Worms are now free to attack the road, these attacks are still quite uncommon. Natural erosion and sinkholes are other possible encounters, but Calimshan is quick to make repairs as they continue to clear the road.

With the end of the storms, the desert is a much more hospitable place, and bandits and others who wish to escape civilization are more likely to inhabit it - especially within a couple of miles of oases. However, without sandstorms, it's easier to see vast distances and travel during the day is much easier. It is still a hot desert though so a lot of water is necessary to cross.

Let us know if there are any follow-up questions.