Fixing Artificer

Nevrus

Original poster
Aug 10, 2022
I'm a design nerd so I want to take a crack at supporting this cool class.

In any discussion of core class design, one needs to start with understanding the fantasy. This creates a set of guidelines by which any decisions may be made against.

The fantasy of Artificer is, according to its current design: A scientific warrior using a combination of gadgets, crossbows, hammers, and shields to contribute to the battlefield.

This fantasy is called up in several ways:

-They are proficient at creating and setting traps.
-They advance quickly in the Augmentation profession.
-They get early access to one of three unique devices that get improved as they level.
-They get access to a few bonus feats that supports one of their intended styles of play.
-They can craft a unique, powerful item when hitting max level.

Unfortunately, they tend to fall behind every other class in terms of power outside of a few niches, and their unique mechanics tend toward being very weak. In light of this, I'm going to step through every mechanic to figure out how to make it work better. Changes in bold.

Contraptionist: Specializing in trapping is a unique hook. Leave this as-is.

Artificer's Focus: Gaining bonus experience towards mastering Augmentation is a unique hook, but it does force them into dedicating one of their two professions to it. Augmenting is also specifically a matter of turning magic items into goo to then add magic to other items which goes against the 'wholly scientific' bent of the class. Therefore, I'd propose this bonus apply to all of the three Production professions (Reforging, Augmentation, or Alchemy) so that they can be good at the craft they want to focus in rather than being hedged into the magical one.

Inventor's Pursuit: Choosing one of three gadgets to focus is is interesting in theory but the list is pretty limited. It only allows support of one of three playstyles - tank (with shield augmentation), melee (with hammer augmentation), and ranged (with bomb). Depending on which you're going for this choice is pre-made. I'd like to see the list expanded and a second option made available at level 12 to support this. My proposed full list (including some balance changes):

Volatile Concoctions: The Artificer can throw a volatile mixture of reagents condensed into a bomb. The damage dealt is dependent on the Artificer level, does not require a ranged touch attack to deal damage, and a successful Reflex save (DC = 10 + 1/2 Artificer Level + Int Modifier) halves the damage. The bomb initially does 3d6 damage, improving to 6d6 at level 6, 9d6 at level 12, and 12d6 at level 16. Additionally, starting at level 12, the bomb will explode, damaging nearby enemies in a Small area. The damage is divided between acid, fire, and sonic damage. This ability has a five round cooldown.

Capacitor Weapon: The artificer can attach a capacitor to their melee weapon, allowing it to deal 1d4 electric damage on hit for 1 round + 1 round per Intelligence modifier. When this effect ends, the capacitor overcharges and jolts the artificer for 1d4 electric damage. The amount of damage dealt increases to 1d8, 1d10, and 2d6 at levels 6, 12, and 16 respectively. Additionally, the Artificer will receive the effect of Haste while under this effect starting at level 12. The jolt damage increases to 2d6, 4d6, and 6d6 at levels 6, 12, and 16 respectively. This ability can be used once every 2 minutes.

Power Shield: The Artificer can ward themself against damage for a short time using a steam-fueled generator. They gain +1 / 5 DR for 3 rounds + 1 round / their Intelligence modifier. When this effect ends, the Artificer vents the heat, dealing 1d4 Fire damage to themself and every creature close to them, including allies. The amount of damage reduction increases to +1 / 10, +2 /10 and +3 / 10 at levels 7, 12 and 16 respectively. Additionally, at level 12 the Artificer deals 1d6 fire damage to the attacker when struck in melee while active. The damage taken from venting increases to 1d6, 1d8 and 1d10 respectively. This ability can be used once every 2 minutes.

Thunderstick(New): The Artificer can use a device that collects static electricity to blast their foes in a line, like a lightning bolt spell. A reflex save of 10 + 1/2 Artificer Level + Intelligence can reduce this damage by half. The ability deals 4d6 damage at level 2, 8d6 damage at level 6, 12d6 damage at level 12, and 16d6 damage at level 16. Additionally, at level 12 it will apply a 25% vulnerability to electricity damage to enemies that fail the save. This ability can be used once every 2 minutes.

Little Sun(New): The Artificer can toss a chemical grenade that generates artificial sunlight. Anyone in a Medium area of where the grenade is thrown must make a Fortitude save against 10 + 1/2 Artificer Levels + Intelligence or be blinded for 2 rounds. Additionally, undead creatures struck will take 4d6 Divine damage from the scouring sunlight, half if they succeed on the save. At levels 6, 12, and 16, the blind duration increases to 4, 6, and 8 rounds respectively, and the damage increases to 8d6, 12d6, and 16d6 respectively. Additionally, at level 12 this ability can destroy creatures vulnerable to sunlight as though it were a Sunburst spell if they fail the save. The Artificer is always blinded for one round after using this ability. This ability can be used once every 2 minutes.

Emergency Escape Balloon(New): The Artificer can deploy a personal hot-air balloon that ferries them away to safety or into danger. This functions like the Dimension Door spell. After using it, the Artificer is slowed for three rounds as they untangle the various cords that wrap them up. This ability can be used once every 10 minutes at level 2, 8 minutes at level 6, 6 minutes at level 12, and 4 minutes at level 16.

Special Artificer Feats:
These are intended to further develop a build into a specialty or provide some increased utility. Not all of them are created equal. I don't think the list necessarily needs to be expanded but some of the weaker entries could do with improvements.

Forgemaster's Fury: Leave this as-is.

Healing Injector: The Artificer gains the ability to use a special devices which can heal themselves or an ally for 1d8+3 per 3 Artificer levels. Additionally, the recipient will regenerate 5 health per round for each Intelligence modifier. This ability can be used once every 2 minutes.

Engineer's Conditioning: Leave this as-is.

Static Ward: Change the cooldown to 2 minutes. Combined with my changes to Power Shield this can create a good biteback loop of stacking the two or staggering them for more coverage.

Conductor Bolts: Leave this as-is. The 2 per Intelligence Modifier duration balances it out, meaning it'll have 50% uptime on a 16 int (24 buffed) Artificer.

Chemist's Conditioning (New): The Artificer permanently becomes resistant to Acid and Sonic damage, gaining 10 damage resistance to both elements.

Grand Invention:
This is the capstone where the Artificer gets a very strong item if they can craft it. If this requires advancing in a particular profession to do, it should be explicitly listed.
My only suggestions are to change Power Glove and Flask Launcher to be Uses/day on their effects instead of Charges because they're the only 2 out of the 5 you'll have to make over and over again to get use out of their effects, which is a silly discrepancy.

I think with these changes the class will be a lot more active and fun to play, hit that fantasy, and allow for a little more differentiation between different artificers even who have the same playstyle. It's also competitive with other classes in terms of effects.

Very good changes, in my mind. Helps the class stand out mechanically and allow for a variety of different playstyles without turning it into a gimmick. Some of the damage things could scale back a bit especially if they are going to friendly fire your allies, but otherwise i don't see anything too overpowered here!

Alright, I should first point out why I personally think that Artificer is currently great. On paper.

Variety. Artificers can be built in different ways, giving them a fighter-like diversity of possible roles in a party. Just because you say "I play Artificer" people won't automatically know what you really do.
Flexibility. Since their proficiencies allow them to not only equip shields (except tower shields) and how they're automatically granted the feat to use heavy armor later on they can fulfill a variety of roles while switching in and out independently. Oh, the frontline is buckling? Send in the Artificer, he can hold for a few rounds while the fighter patches himself up. The fighter is back to a good amount of health? Back out and return to firing from the backline with your crossbow and contraptions.
Cooldowns. An artificer will never utter the words "I need to rest to recharge my devices". They can and will keep going as long as the rest of their party can. At least that's the case with most of their stuff.
Last but not least, they are a 100% save from being persecuted since all they do is science. None of this is magic. Will you ever do as much elemental damage as any actual caster class? No.
But you will never have to worry about a magic-hater's blade aiming for your neck.

Now with all that said let's go into your proposed changes.

- Artificer's Focus. I see no problem with this, I'd approve if not just to support the entire idea of this being the tinkering player's dream class.

- Inventor's Pursuit. This is weird. On some ends your proposed numbers would absolutely powercreep the Artificer into being THE STRONGEST early levels class. A 3d6 bomb with 5 rounds cooldown at level 2, not even requiring a touch attack anymore? Thunderstick dealing up to 24 damage in a line at level 2, every two turns? Wow. Then there's strange stuff. Your previous mention (which was very valid by the way!) of how Artificers' current bonus from Artificer's Focus seems off, seeing as it seems magic related, is completely overshadowed by a grenade that then eradicates undead hordes as if it's a divine spell. Sunlight or even bright artificial lights alone do not hurt common undead. Neither does artificial, non-magical light hurt creatures vulnerable to such, like vampires. At least as far as I know! So all in all I'd say that the proposed new Pursuits are a hit and a miss. Oh and for the Capacitor Weapon and Powershield ... again, non-magical elemental damage that nobody will discriminate you for. Hopefully. That's powerful. Decreasing the cooldown by a third, even with the increased self-damage seems questionable to me on paper.

- Healing Injector. So the potential is lowered early on but the flat healing is vastly improved, especially at higher levels. And it's given a cooldown? As far as I understand healing will be very valuable in dungeons, so to put it on a cooldown might make it too good. But then again this would also make it impossible to use this feat three times back to back within three rounds ... both a downside and an upside. I for one would leave it at 3 charges, except for increasing the amount of charges given with your total Artificer levels.

- Chemist's Conditioning. Yeah, I don't see why this shouldn't be a thing if Engineer's Conditioning exists.

- Grand Invention. I believe it's been said on the Discord already that this is to be changed. There will be a way for Artificers to recharge their Grand Inventions.

Contraptionist: Appreciate it.

Artificer's Focus: The Augmenting profession was chosen because it's the only one that peasants don't receive a bonus to. There was no desire to step on peasant's toes when it's effectively the only thing they get to themselves. Augmenting is being changed from what it was, so that it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with magic.

Inventor's Pursuit: The limited capacity with some choice for flavour was intentional. It missed the mark slightly, but when I was designing the class the intention was to limit the need for excessive and/or complicated scripting en masse.

Volatile Concoctions: The suggested damage is absolutely absurd. Up to 36 elemental damage at level 6 every 30 seconds; nothing gets that much damage, especially not a class that's also 3/4 BAB and capable of wearing heavy armour on an ability that cannot miss. You could also easily have a 16 DC on this, which is high against a lot of classes at this level and in PvE. This would eviscerate things, particularly in PvE as it's an AoE, and be a huge chunk of damage to open with in PvP where the Artificer could run circles around anything that doesn't get a movement speed bonus until the cooldown is back up.

Capacitor Weapon: Simply confused about this. It gives you haste but you take 6d6 damage from the jolt when it ends at level 16? Either you've misunderstood the 'jolt' portion of the ability and this is again way overtuned in terms or damage, or you believe that Haste and a 2 minute cooldown is worth yourself taking up to 36 damage every time you use it.

Power Shield: 3 rounds + 1 round / Intelligence on a tank setup likely means the Artificer will go 14 Intelligence, providing they're not buffed. So 5 rounds of 1d6 damage every time the Artificer gets hit, potentially absorbing much or all of the damage being dealt to him and dealing 1d6 damage to every enemy that hits him with this ability every round for 5 rounds, enemies which by this level may have two or three attacks per round, finished off with a 1d10 vent at the end, which they'll completely negate on themselves providing they take Engineer's Conditioning, which they would. That is not balanced in comparison to other abilities that classes get.

Thunderstick: Another ability that does far too much damage, especially if you were to pair it up with the proposed changes to Volatile Concoctions. 12d6 on a 30 second cooldown, 12d6 on a 120 second cooldown. At max level this is already a potential 360 damage every 2 minutes if you use these abilities on cooldown, or potential 180 if the Reflex save is met on all, reliable damage that cannot be avoided.

Little Sun: Just more damage to undead, in addition to the other proposed damage abilities, this would make Artificer far and away the most effective undead killer on the server, utterly outshining Cleric and Paladin by a country mile.

Emergency Escape Balloon: Far too technologically advanced for the setting, as it's meant to be in it's early stages and thus this feels completely out of place. They've cracked time-space travel through technology but they haven't invented guns yet or even managed to stop their own electric hammers from shocking themselves?

Forgemaster's Fury: Very kind.

Healing Injector: Numbers are once again skewed too high; 1d8+3 per 3 Artificer levels = 66 potential at 18, plus an easy 15-20 extra by then, without any Intelligence buffs. Again, every 2 minutes would make this class far and away the best healer in the game because of it's reliability, outshining every caster that has to rely on spell slots to do a portion of this.

Engineer's Conditioning: Thanks again.

Static Ward: Not much to say other than you're already stating what the intended design was, except it's three minutes instead of two.

Conductor Bolts: Yup.

Chemist's Conditioning: It's Engineer's Conditioning except it has no synergy with any of the Artificer's kit. It may work somewhat thematically but it would have made more sense if the other abilities you made played into this.

Grand Invention: The items with charges are Plot and thus don't get destroyed. You don't make them more than once as you only get to choose one invention, you recharge them. And no, it doesn't require any crafting skill which is why it isn't stated.
___

In summary, the class is going to get some adjustments and possibly more abilities as was pointed out on the Discord, but it will be done alongside the rest of the server and with the server design in mind.

Augmenting: Did not know about incoming changes. Did not know about Peasant proficiencies. Apologies.

Now, for balance notes:

I may have been a little over-aggressive with the cooldown on Volatile Concoction, but the intention was to make it fall in line with the general progression of spell damage to make it worth taking over other options. A fireball maxes out at10d6 at level 10; this maxes out at 12d6 at level 16. As one of potentially four (or five) useable mechanics on the class, it needs to be competitive. It still falls far behind what high-level casters are capable of in terms of damage output. Even a level 18 rogue can output 10d6 sneak attack damage on every hit, potentially multiple times a round.

Capacitor Weapon: A self-given haste that always lines up with a 2d6 damage buff can potentially output 5d12+10d6+15(str) extra damage (without accounting for other weapon buffs), averaging out to an extra 82 damage. The splashback damage can be mitigated to a potential 26 before any other resistances from equipment are accounted for. The full extra output only increases as strength and intelligence and weapon buffs are added. The jolt damage could get knocked down, but the haste makes it a moment of power akin to Raging.

Power Shield: There actually is a parallel in Battlerager, which gets a 2d4+strength modifier damage shield that pierces all resistances. There's also a parallel in the Death Armor spell, which does 1d4+1 per 2 caster levels up to 1d4+5. There is very little mechanical difference between a wizard using Stoneskin and Death Armor together compared to this ability, except that because someone building for resistance is intending to be a tank they probably have higher AC and thus do less total damage.

Thunderstick: Lightning bolt with a little more oomph at level 16 than what it normally gets at level 10. The cooldown is long enough that it's not likely to be used twice in a fight. The 5th level Druid spell Call Thunderstorm does more potential damage with perfect targeting and can even be Empowered for even more damage. As a gimmick to give a fun button to hit it works.

Little Sun: This is niche. Its quality at damaging undead is high to reward that niche, but being able to do a burst of damage to exactly one kind of enemy every 20 rounds doesn't outshine Paladins who can, just with Bless Weapon, output up to 80d6 divine damage in that same time frame, or Clerics who can turn large quantities and use Sunburst to do 18d6 damage to all of them, or wizards who can use Undeath to Death to instantly disintegrate large packs.

Emergency Escape Balloon: I was just reaching for an interesting mobility option that could be useful for both melee and ranged builds. Boots that give move speed and a bonus to Tumble could also suffice for this.

Healing Injector: What healing spells compete with is not Cure Critical Wounds but Healing Kits. A +1 healing kit in the hands of a level 18 character with 0 wis and 21 ranks of Heal will do between 22 and 42 healing. A Cure Critical Wounds cast by a non-healer will do between 22 and 50 healing. Gear for heal with +8 and you're doing 30-50. With a basic +1 healing kit. Once a round.

6d8+18 is slightly better than 4d8+18, by an average of 9 healing. 6 rounds of regen 5 brings the max healing of this ability over the course of 6 rounds to 96 with 6 perfect dice rolls, less than the 100 Heal spells that Clerics can spit out. If a Cleric devoted their 6 6th-level spell slots to Heal, they can outpace this amount of healing by a factor of 6 when there's lots of damage coming in. If they also devoted their 7 4th level spell slots to Cure Critical Wounds, they could bring in an additional (average) 252 healing, putting the two-minute healing comparison to an average of 75 vs an average of 852. And that's without empowered healing from the Healing domain.

Healing Injector is worth about two heal kits and I think that's fine. Currently, its value in daily uses is less than buying 4 healing kits, and I think that's sad.

Static Ward: Uptime is fun.

Chemist's Conditioning: The intention is to allow a more purely defensive build by pairing it with Engineer's Conditioning, Static Ward, and Power Shield. Options are good.

Grand Invention: This is fine. I operated on the information presented.

Nervus, I think you should acquaint yourself with the systems and balance vision that TDN has in mind come the PvP/PvE event next week before making a post like this. You seem to be jumping the gun and assuming that TDN has the same vision, and systems, shared among all servers, i.e. your examples of healers kits. They function in a vastly different way here. I don't fault you for being excited about the class, and your passion for designing such classes, but TDN has a strict vision that they adhere to, but much of your wording has come across as presumptuous and based on other server experiences. Come next week, though, trying your hand at the class, experiencing our dungeons and knowing that these classes WILL be balanced after launch can help you shape your ideas with a little more refinement.

Last edited:
Not to come across like I am trying to curbstomp any input but I'd just like to add that Artificer shouldn't be "competetive" or capable of keeping up with mages at all. Even more so since mages are bound to spellslots a day and the fact that they are mages. In a setting where they could quite possibly be hunted for that fact alone, especially if they misbehave or step out of line.

Rogue damage is not reliable, they have 3/4 BAB scaling and would have to hit enemies who have AC that is largely designed for martials not to reliably hit every single round, so they're going to miss quite a lot even with the flanking bonus. They also don't AoE with their Sneak Attacks. You can get into the minutiae of UMD and what they have available, but the classes are going to be balanced around what they reliably have all of the time and what's going to be available for rogues to use with UMD will be limited comparative to other servers. Casters have spell slots and there are rest cooldowns as well as travel time; yes, they can output more damage in a large burst or at select intervals, but comparably between the travel time and dungeon time involved, Artificers would far outshine them because their damage is reliable and can be used far more often and for longer. And, as Richord pointed out, they do not need to be competitive regardless.

Capacitor Weapon: 26 damage is a huge chunk of damage for using this every time it's up, and if you're using Forgemaster's Fury and Engineer's Conditioning you no longer have availability of Healing Injector. You won't be getting resistance gear that's capable of negating 26 damage reliably, meaning you're largely more dangerous to yourself compared to basically any other class who can do comparable melee damage. Strange that you aren't comparing it to Rogue in this instance, given that 10d6 on every hit comparatively makes having to take up to 26 damage every time you can use this ability even more defunct.

Power Shield: Battlerager is a prestige class and that damage shield is practically it's capstone, and it doesn't get DR from that feat alone but requires two feats - that's kind of the only thing they do and they don't get a choice in the matter. Death Armor along with other damage spells, again, require spell slots. Artificer isn't intended to be a resourceless mage with arbitrary cooldowns.

Thunderstick: Once again, you're comparing this to a spell that druids get. This has to be slotted, therefore sacrifices have to made for other spells that could be used and still has limited uses per day. And with this one you're even referencing a metamagic spell that costs slots from two circles higher. It's slightly better but it's not close to as sustainable and, again, is being referenced from the perspective of this one ability and not from the fact you can easily take this ability and Volatile Concoctions.

Little Sun: Looked at alone, yes, this won't make them better than Clerics and Paladins from the perspective of Divine damage or this ability alone, however as I said in the response 'in addition to other proposed damage abilities' - i.e Volatile Concoctions and Thunderstick. Again, it's elemental damage thus bypasses DR and none of these require any kind of touch attack, so it would bypass any concealment and they're all AoE. Paladins only get to hit one creature at a time and have to actually roll to hit, so if you frame Bless Weapon from the perspective of one Paladin vs one undead that hits every time they swing, sure. If you frame it from the perspective of multiple undead, you're talking about an Artificer doing 12d6 + 12d6 + 12d6 x however many enemies there are at any given time in the space of 3 rounds with only a couple of minutes of downtime, or even 6d6 + 6d6 + 6d6 or some variation between those values depending on Reflex saves. Sunburst is a level 8 spell and thus will be able to be slotted roughly three times. Undead to Death is a level 6 spell, thus slotted, and slays undead based on hit dice scaling up to 20d4; you would potentially be fighting undead that are at least the same level as you, therefore this really isn't going to have the mileage you're making it out to have even if you filled up your spell slots with it, which most Clerics won't.

Healing Injector: As was pointed out, healing kits are different on TDN. They're nerfed, won't go high in plus value and only regenerate health, they offer no spike healing, so this is better than them and healing from other casters outside of the biggest healing spells. And even if what you were saying was the case on the server, Healing Injector won't cost money to use and doesn't require any bag space. Healing kits do.

Of course, much like the argument about Wizards, Clerics could outshine this if they really doubled down on doing one thing with all of their spell slots. Of course. However, they would need to slot those spells and travel out into the wild with all those spells - and only those spells - at the ready. And yes, they get those spells for free and without any feat investment, but they also don't really get any feats of their own. This is one feat that could casually outshine a Cleric in the long game. Maybe you could argue a Cleric who devoted a mountain of healing spell slots would have enough to last several dungeon runs, and that might be true but it would mean that's all the Cleric does for that run. In these suggestions, Artificers could have this, Volatile Concoctions and Thunderstick and be churning out almost mage-level damage in 30 second and 2 minute intervals respectively without any need to stop and rest.

Static Ward: Not really an argument for cutting a cooldown down by a third. May aswell make it a 30 second cooldown along with Power Shield if that's all there is to say about it.

Chemist's Conditioning: Options are good, but most classes who do specific things usually synergise with the rest of their kit. There's nothing particularly wrong with this, it just wouldn't be a priority to add to 'fix' the class as it's really no more than flavour.

I already gave my suggestions when the class was announced. Im not sure I agree with the proposed changes here, but in my opinion the class still needs drastic changes. I said so before and I'll say it again. Versatility doesn't mean much in NwN. Or rather in all of DnD. The versatile classes in DnD all suck and the only ones that are good can be strong at anything they do. This is not the case for the artificer as a "Ok at everything but not great at anything" approach was made with the class. The simple fact is, you still have to choose one of the paths of the artificer and then you are just ok at that thing you do but you will never be great at it. Then there is the fact that you don't even get all that many gadgets even though that's supposed to be his main thing.

Anyway, the devs already know my opinion on it, but Im glad others voice their opinion on this class. I doubt it will change before release, which is a shame since I would like to play it, but as it is now I would get very bored with the class very fast. I can only hope it will change sometime after the server is released.

I have two pieces of feedback unrelated to power, but rather playability and flavor:

Most importantly, I think it is very strange that Artificer does not have Heal as a class skill: they can, after all, invent a healing device. Meanwhile, they get Perform as a class skill, which doesn't really make sense. Why not add Heal or swap it in for Perform. While many artificers may not have an interest in the medical, it would allow for a little variety and personalization between those who play the class. It adds a little bit of combat utility but nothing overly strong. I strongly urge this change, it would add so much to playability (mechanically and combat) with little impact on power.

Second, I want to voice my support for opening up other crafting professions for Artificer's bonus. I understand very much the argument that it treads on Peasant, but I am not sure any players would really see this as a problem.
Ultimately, a peasant and an artificer are not competing for the same role. An artificer is giving up combat capabilities for some crafting, and it makes sense that they should have a little flexibility so that their crafting can match their character. However, I think it would be fair for them to only have a bonus in one profession.

I support NeedForGreed's first suggestion above. An artificer being extremely interested in medicine doesnt seem terribly out of character, they build all kinds of other machines, why not take an interest in the one they live inside? Could even give a few more options for their optional powers to give them more artificer healing devices of various kinds.

I support NeedForGreed's first suggestion above. An artificer being extremely interested in medicine doesnt seem terribly out of character, they build all kinds of other machines, why not take an interest in the one they live inside? Could even give a few more options for their optional powers to give them more artificer healing devices of various kinds.
I just realized I never went back and fixed this. I was dumb, they actually do have Heal as a skill.

Let me just put on my clown suit...

• Haha
Reactions: Ari and Gallows