Sept/Oct Development Update

Aschent_

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 10, 2019
Hey Folks -

Aschent_ here and usually we'd give a Dev update, however for this one: A bit of transparency-time. Development can be tough. As the server admin I try to walk the delicate balance of moving the project along, keeping the dev team engaged and the community up to date about our progress. Sometimes this works well, sometimes it works poorly. In the past couple months I've been setting more aggressive deadlines for the dev team so we can reach the finish-line and this has, frankly, caused friction when the needs of TDN get compared against the needs of Real Life for folks. Obviously, Real Life always trumps this project whether it be for myself, the dev team, or even players. From this point forward I am going to avoid making any declarations of finality around launch, as I know that it has created difficulties both internally, but also set people up with a false impression of timelines for TDN's launch, despite the reality that we felt confident at the time.

We all got a bit caught up in being 'almost there', but still are working on things so nothing immediate to share at this time. Sincere apologies for the back and forth nature of how development has gone!

The next time you see a Dev update from myself or the team in this type of format, it will be to let people know we are done developing and TDN is ready to launch. From there we will give a window of 2 to 4 weeks so folks can make arrangement or prepare as they need.

Thank you,
Aschent_

PS: If there is a question of "Does this change launch timeframes for calendar year 2023?", the answer is now: "we hope not".